- This event has passed.
School Resource Officer – Basic
March 22, 2021 - March 26, 2021$475.00
This training is designed to transition a law enforcement/security officer from their normal roles to being a School Resource Officer (SRO) in the educational system. Each topic is structured to ensure that the mindset of the SRO can quickly and accurately switch between the roles of a police/security officer to that of a school employee or student mentor. This course provides each officer with the tools necessary to understand the social and emotional aspects of youth in the K-12 school system and develop the relationships necessary to ensure school safety. Tactical training to respond quickly and effectively when a threat or incident within the school occurs is also covered in this course.
Upon completion of this course, the officer will be able to:
- Understand and review case law as it applies to juveniles and the school system
- Have a basic knowledge of social and emotional needs of K-12 students
- Determine whether an investigation is the school’s or law enforcement’s responsibility
- Expertly investigate school incidents that may be criminal
- Be proficient with school-based tactics, both physical and firearms
- Certified in stop the bleed trauma-based actions
- Conduct a generalized threat assessment within their own school
**This course is certified through the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy and approved by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES)**
***Completion of this course awards the student with 3 credit hours of college credit.***